RVSA Implementation Consultation Framework
On 7 February 2018, the Minister for Urban Infrastructure and Cities, the Hon Paul Fletcher MP, introduced the Road Vehicle Standards (RVS) package of Bills into Parliament. If the Bills are passed, the Road Vehicle Standards Rules (the Rules), which will contain most of the detail of the proposed new legislative framework, will be able to be made.
An exposure draft of the Rules was released by the Australian Government in December 2017. Following an extensive public consultation process that closed on 16 February 2018, the Government announced that it would make a number of refinements to the Rules to respond to feedback received. These changes will be reflected in the final version of the Rules.
The Government is aware that some stakeholders remain concerned about how the new legislation will be implemented. In response, the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities has established the RVSA Implementation Consultation Framework to facilitate the smooth implementation of the RVS legislation through a targeted consultation process. Three consultation groups have been established under this framework.
The consultation groups established under the framework aim to provide a collaborative forum to enable the Department, in-service regulators and industry to identify issues relevant to the administration of the RVS legislation, and to develop practical solutions to those issues. The three groups are:
- Type Approvals Consultation Group (Terms of Reference)
- The Concessional RAV Entry Consultation Group (Terms of Reference)
- RVSA Tools Consultation Group (Terms of Reference)
Meetings will convene approximately every two (2) months, or as agreed by the members of each Consultation Group, with the option to make decisions on papers offline.
The consultation groups will be chaired by the General Manager of the Vehicle Safety Standards Branch within the Department or their nominated representative, with the balance of membership to be comprised of:
- Representatives from the Department
- Industry associations
- Representatives from in-service regulators
Agenda and papers
Each consultation group meeting will have a pre-determined agenda of questions for the membership to address and key documents, including agenda papers and outcomes of the meetings will be published on this website as they become available.
Type Approvals Consultation Group
Meeting Papers—Type Approvals Consultation Group Meeting #1, 10 August 2018
- Agenda PDF: 309 KB
- VSS RAV Guide for type approval holders PDF: 1438 KB
- Discussion paper TA1—Modification of a road vehicle on the RAV before first provision to a consumer PDF: 1156 KB
- Discussion paper TA2—Secure Vehicle Identification marking—supplier arrangements PDF: 1214 KB
- List of issues PDF: 234 KB
- Outcomes of Meeting PDF: 612 KB
Meeting Papers—Type Approvals Consultation Group Meeting #2, 21 November 2018
- Agenda #2 PDF: 359 KB
- TA3 – Road Vehicle Type Approvals Opt In PDF: 463 KB
- Supplementary Material—Road Vehicle Type Approvals Opt In PDF: 110 KB
- Updated VSS RAV Guide for type approval holders PDF: 1121 KB
- Justification for RAV data fields PDF: 322 KB
Meeting dates for the Concessional RAV Entry Consultation Group and RVSA Tools Consultation Group will be advised when they become available.
Concessional RAV Entry Consultation Group
Meeting Papers—Concessional RAV Entry Consultation Group Meeting #1, 22 November 2018
- Agenda PDF: 61 KB
- Discussion Paper CR1–Introduction to the concessional RAV entry pathway PDF: 343 KB
RVSA Tools Consultation Group
Meeting Papers– RVSA Tools Consultation Group Meeting #1, 22 November 2018
- Agenda PDF: 63 KB
- Discussion Paper TL1–Introduction to the Specialist and Enthusiast Vehicles Register PDF: 390 KB
- Discussion Paper TL2–Introduction to Testing Facility Approvals PDF: 319 KB
If you would like further information about the consultation groups or would like to submit a topic for consideration by the relevant group, please send an email to the address below.