You will generally be notified within 20 working days of receipt of your completed vehicle import application of the decision to approve or refuse your application. The Department aims to process applications sooner than this.
Circumstances that may prolong the assessment of an application include:
- submitting an application using the paper application forms;
- not submitting all supporting documentation with your application;
- if your application requires technical assessment;
- if you or your vehicle is deemed as not meeting the import option initially selected; or
- seeking special consideration as to why you should be allowed to import your vehicle even if you or your vehicle does not meet any eligibility criteria set out in the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 or the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989.
Where you do not comply, you will be sent a query requesting additional information or provided with a Provisional Assessment, which sets out other possible options available under legislation.
Applicants should allow at least five working days for any additional information to be reviewed as part of an application.
If the information provided is satisfactory, you will be issued with an approval to import the vehicle (Vehicle Import Approval) by email.