A Carnet de Passage en Douane is an international agreement which allows the temporary importation of a vehicle for up to 12 months by visitors to Australia. The Carnet de Passage en Douane is obtained in the country of residence.

If you are visiting Australia on a vacation, you may temporarily import your vehicle to Australia by presenting a valid carnet to Department of Immigration and Border Protection at the port where the vehicle arrives in Australia.

A carnet is similar to a personal passport and contains all the relevant information about the vehicle—make, model, colour, engine capacity, seating capacity, registration number, owner and value. Carnets can be obtained for motor vehicles, motorcycles, campervans, four wheel drive vehicles, caravans and trailers.

Your vehicle's carnet must be obtained from the motoring organisation in your country of residence before you leave home. (For USA residents, carnets are available from the Canadian Automobile Association in Ottawa.)

Conditions of Use

  • A carnet is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
  • Vehicles imported under a carnet may not be lent, sold, mortgaged, hired, exchanged, given away or otherwise disposed of in Australia.
  • The vehicle must be exported from Australia prior to or on the expiry date of the carnet.
  • The vehicle that is covered by a carnet must not remain in Australia when the owner is not in Australia.

Vehicles imported without a carnet will not be permitted to clear Australian Customs until a Vehicle Import Approval is issued.

Note: The Department does not issue carnets and is unable to assist with any questions on carnets. Please contact your motoring organisation in your country for information on the issuing of a carnet.

The information provided on this page should be used as guidance material only for importing a vehicle into Australia. Please familiarise yourself with the relevant legislation prior to lodging an application.


Last Updated: 19 August, 2015