Review of the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport
Part 34 of the Transport Standards requires the second five-year legislated review to commence in 2012. This review is being undertaken by the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development in consultation with the Attorney-General's Department, the Accessible Public Transport Jurisdictional Committee, the Accessible Public Transport National Advisory Committee and the Aviation Access Forum. The Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development will provide a final written report for consideration by the Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development in consultation with the Attorney-General.
Terms of Reference
- As required by Part 34 of the Transport Standards, the 2012 Review will review the efficiency and effectiveness of the Transport Standards and will:
- assess whether discrimination has been removed, as far as possible, according to the requirements for compliance set out in Schedule 1 of the Transport Standards; and
- advise on any necessary amendments to the Transport Standards.
- The Review will focus on:
- reporting public views of people with disability, and the community generally, on progress towards achievement of targets set out in the Transport Standards;
- assessing compliance with the requirements set out in Schedule 1 of the Transport Standards, in particular those under Part 2 of Schedule 1;
- identifying initiatives and actions with respect to removing discrimination from public transport services undertaken by state and territory governments since the 2007 Review; and
- assessing the progress of the implementation of the response to the 2007 Review.
The review's terms of reference are available for download.
The Transport Standards review Issues Paper is now available for download. The Paper provides an opportunity for transport operators and providers, governments, the disability sector and the public to provide written submissions. The paper has been divided into separate sections each detailing questions for each stakeholder group. The questions are intended to assist contributors in framing their submissions. The closing date for submissions is 31 May 2013.
Below is a link to a list of all submissions provided to the Department. Submissions marked confidential or those that were determined to contain private or confidential information have not been provided in full. All submissions provided to the Department will be given consideration in the conduct of the review. The submissions webpage will be continuously updated.
‘The submissions published on this website have been made available as part of a public consultation process. The submissions do not necessarily represent the views of the Department or indicate a commitment to a particular course of action’
The draft report of the review was publicly released by the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development on 9 May 2014.
The final report on the second review was publicly released by the Australian Government on 10 July 2015. The final report is available for download.
Australian Government Response
Following close consideration of the final report on the second review, the Australian Government has prepared a response to the review and its recommendations. The Government response was released in conjunction with the final report on 10 July 2015 and is available for download.
For further information on the Review please contact the Department via the Secretariat mailbox at: