Making Australia's transport system safe, secure, efficient, sustainable, competitive and productive.
The Office of Transport Security is Australia's transport security regulator for aviation transport, maritime transport and the offshore oil and gas industry. Its role is to make sure Australians and our national interests are secure through regulation that supports industry and the community as they carry out trade and travel activities.
The Australian Government takes a proactive and forward looking approach to security regulation. This involves continuous review on what is known about terrorist threats to ensure that our transport security system is fit for purpose and security measures are targeted towards areas of highest risk.
Specifically, we do this through:
- administering the Aviation Transport Security Act 2004 and the Maritime Transport and Offshore Facilities Security Act 2003;
- education and collaboration;
- informed policy advice and design;
- compliance and monitoring; and
- domestic and international partnerships.
We do this by working with other government partners and industry to maintain a strong and comprehensive approach to transport security.
- Revised guidance on the role and powers of Maritime Security Guards
The Department has released revised guidance material on the role and powers of maritime security guards.
- Identity Security Amendments
Important changes to ASIC and MSIC schemes commence 1 November 2016.
- New known consignor scheme for exporters
Find out more or register your interest in being part of the scheme.
Before you travel find out more about airport security screening. Plan ahead—visit TravelSECURE
Regulated industry participants
In Australia, putting in place preventive security measures is the responsibility of owners and operators of transport systems.
Transport security is your business—find out more about your role, responsibilities and the legal requirements for your industry sector.
- Air cargo security
- Aviation security
- Maritime security
- Offshore facility security
- Surface transport security
Find out more about OTS' key performance measures and assessment.
Find out more about upcoming consultations and industry forums.
Find out more about publications and other transport security information.