Terms of Reference for Ministerial Forum on Vehicle Emissions
The Minister for Major Projects, Territories and Local Government, the Minister for the Environment and the Minister for Resources, Energy and Northern Australia, will constitute a Ministerial Forum, chaired by the Minister for Major Projects and supported by an interdepartmental working group led by the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, to coordinate a whole-of-Australian-government approach to addressing vehicle emissions, including testing and reporting arrangements.
The working group will consult broadly with industry stakeholders and coordinate work already underway through different government agencies to examine a range of issues including:
- implementation of Euro 6 or equivalent standards for new vehicles;
- fuel efficiency (CO2) measures for new light vehicles;
- fuel quality standards;
- emissions testing arrangements for vehicles in conjunction with international regulatory agencies to ensure robust testing;
- Australian Government measures under the National Clean Air Agreement;
- Emissions Reduction Fund and Safeguard Mechanism—transport measures;
- future infrastructure to support new vehicles, including funding available through the Clean Energy Finance Corporation and Australian Renewable Energy Agency; and
- National Energy Productivity Plan.
The working group will report by 30 June 2016 to the Ministerial Forum on measures including options for managing fuel quality standards, options for new measurement reporting standards for air pollutants under the National Clean Air Agreement and other measures.
The working group will report by 31 March 2017 to the Ministerial Forum on a draft implementation plan for new measures—aligning with the Government's commitment to announce new measures to deliver Australia's 2030 climate change targets.