Factsheet: New Motorway—M7 to The Northern Road
The Australian Government, in partnership with the New South Wales Government, has announced a ten-year road investment programme of over $3 billion for Western Sydney. This is part of the Australian Government's plan to build the infrastructure of the 21st century and grow the economy. This programme includes the construction of a new east-west motorway linking the M7 Motorway and The Northern Road.
Project: Elizabeth Drive between the M7Motorway and The Northern Road
Distance: 14 km
Cost: $1.25 billion
Commonwealth contribution: $1 billion
NSW contribution: $250 million
Timeframe:To be completed before opening of the airport at Badgerys Creek
What will happen?
Elizabeth Drive marks the northern boundary of the Badgerys Creek site.
These works will involve the construction of a new four-lane motorway providing access to the airport and forming the main east-west connection between the M7 Motorway and The Northern Road.
This will provide direct access to the airport while maintaining access to Elizabeth Drive for local traffic.
The new motorway will also involve a motorway interchange with the M7 Motorway.
What are the benefits?
Elizabeth Drive, facing east. Source: Google Maps
- Increased capacity to handle future traffic growth in the South West Growth Centre and the development of an airport at Badgerys Creek.
- Direct access to the airport site from the M7 Motorway, providing seamless connections to many parts of Sydney.
- Main east-west connection to the airport from the M7 Motorway and The Northern Road.
- Construction of a separate motorway will minimise interference with local traffic.
- The new motorway will improve safety for motorists through providing a motorway-standard road to deal with expected increase in traffic with improved intersections at main junctions.
Click map to view larger image.