Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan
The Australian Government is delivering on its plan to build a stronger and more prosperous Western Sydney by investing $2.9 billion over ten years in major infrastructure upgrades that will transform the region's economy.
The Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan involves major road and transport linkages that will capitalise on the economic gains from developing an airport at Badgerys Creek whilst boosting the local economy and liveability of Western Sydney, making it an even greater place to live and do business.
This investment will relieve pressure on existing infrastructure and unlock the economic capacity of the region by easing costly congestion, slashing travel times and creating thousands of local jobs.
This programme includes:
- upgrade of The Northern Road to a minimum of four lanes from Narellan to Jamison Road, Penrith;
- construction of a new east-west motorway to the airport between the M7 Motorway and The Northern Road (to be known as the M12 Motorway);
- upgrade of Bringelly Road to a minimum of four lanes between The Northern Road and Camden Valley Way;
- construction of the Werrington Arterial Road by upgrading Kent Road and Gipps Street to four lanes between the Great Western Highway and the M4 Motorway;
- upgrade of the intersection of Ross Street and the Great Western Highway; and
- a $200 million package for local roads upgrades, to be delivered across five rounds over ten years.
Further details on the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan announcement can be found in the Prime Minister's Media Release.
The Australian Government has also announced that Badgerys Creek will be the site for a new airport for Western Sydney. Further details on this announcement can be found on the Western Sydney airport website.
The following websittes provide information on the specific projects and may help to answer your questions:
Please consult the New South Wales Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) website for further information on the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan and specific project details. RMS has also established a Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan Portal.
The Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan is investing in major infrastructure projects to transform the region. A map of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan, including roads to be upgraded, is available below. The map includes projects announced under Round 1 of the Local Roads Package. Submissions for Round 2 projects are currently open, with successful projects expected to be announced in late 2015.
- Download High resolution map PDF: 18737 KB