Australian Maritime Safety Authority
Section 1: Entity overview and resources
1.1 Strategic direction statement
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) is a statutory authority established under the Australian Maritime Safety Authority Act 1990 (AMSA Act) to:
- promote maritime safety and protection of the marine environment;
- prevent and combat ship-sourced pollution in the marine environment;
- provide infrastructure to support safety of navigation in Australian waters;
- provide a national search and rescue service to the maritime and aviation sectors;
- provide, on request, services to the maritime industry on a commercial basis; and
- provide, on request, services of a maritime nature on a commercial basis to the Commonwealth and/or states and territories.
AMSA regularly assesses its operating environment, challenges, goals and risks to identify key priorities for coming years.
In 2017–18 AMSA will continue to focus on strategic objectives that reflect AMSA's statutory responsibilities, are consistent with the whole of government regulatory reform agenda and form the basis for the program objectives and outputs detailed in the following sections.
1.2 Entity resource statement
Table 1.1 shows the total funding from all sources available to AMSA for its operations and to deliver programs and services on behalf of the government.
The table summarises how resources will be applied by outcome (government strategic policy objectives) and by departmental (for AMSA's operations) classification.
For more detailed information on special appropriations, please refer to Budget Paper No. 4— Agency Resourcing.
Information in this table is presented on a resourcing (i.e. appropriations/cash available) basis, whilst the ‘Budgeted expenses by Outcome 1' table in Section 2 and the financial statements in Section 3 are presented on an accrual basis.
Table 1.1: Australian Maritime Safety Authority resource statement—Budget estimates for 2017–18 as at Budget May 2017
1.3 Budget measures
Budget measures in Part 1 relating to AMSA are detailed in Budget Paper No. 2 - Budget Measures and are summarised below.
Part 2: Other measures not previously reported in a portfolio statement
This table is not provided as there are no other measures not previously reported in a portfolio statement for AMSA.