Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
Section 2: Outcomes and planned performance
2.1: Outcomes and performance information (continued)
|Outcome 4: Good governance in the Australian Territories through the maintenance and improvement of the overarching legislative framework for self-governing territories, and laws and services for non-self-governing territories.|
Outcome 4 Strategy
Outcome 4 is delivered through the following programmes:
4.1 Services to territories
The Department administers the territories of the Ashmore and Cartier Islands, Christmas Island, the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, the Coral Sea Islands and Jervis Bay, and manages national interests in the Australian Capital Territory, the Northern Territory and Norfolk Island.
During 2015–16 and the forward years, the Department will:
- assist these territories to establish and maintain good governance and manage their own futures and provide services and advice on ongoing administration for the non-self-governing territories;
- progress reforms towards long term financial sustainability and improved governance on Norfolk Island;
- lead the management of national and world heritage areas in the external territories;
- deliver services, provide funding support and undertake capital works with the objective of ensuring that territory communities have access to similar services as equivalent state communities;
- support the Australian Government's role in the territories through continuous improvement of the administration of inter-governmental agreements and various programmes, maintaining Australian Government assets and delivering state and local government-type services;
- administer the loan to the Australian Capital Territory Government to implement its Loose Fill Asbestos Insulation Eradiation Scheme; and
- support the Australian Government with advice on its role in the planning of the national capital and on issues relating to the Australian Government's interest in the Australian Capital Territory.
Outcome 4 expense statement
Table 2.4 provides an overview of the total expenses for Outcome 4, by programme.
Contributions to Outcome 4
|Programme 4.1: Services to territories|
|Programme 4.1 Objective
The services to territories programme contributes to Outcome 4 by improving the quality of services provided to residents of the non-self-governing territories and providing targeted support to the self-governing territories through economic and social sustainability initiatives, delivery of services and managing the Australian Government's interests in the territories. This includes:
- The Department of the Treasury is appropriated for payments to and through states and territories for National Partnership payments. Further information on these programmes can be found in Budget Paper 3 or the Department of the Treasury's Portfolio Budget Statements (Programme 1.9).
|Programme 4.1 Expenses
The change in expenses from one year to the next is due mainly to the termination of the Norfolk Island—reforms and services administered item in 2014–15 and the changing profiles of the Loan to the Australian Capital Territory Government—loose fill asbestos, Services to Indian Ocean Territories and Services to Jervis Bay Territory administered items.
|Annual administered expenses (a)|
|ACT Government—national capital functions||1,932||1,934||1,916||1,916||1,916|
|Loan to the Australian Capital Territory Government—loose fill asbestos||18,506||7,402||-||-||-|
|Norfolk Island—Commonwealth administration||631||1,331||1,367||1,066||1,067|
|Norfolk Island—Kingston and Arthur's Vale historic area||630||633||632||632||632|
|Norfolk Island—reforms and services||12,500||-||-||-||-|
|Office of Administrator, Northern Territory||374||329||324||334||334|
|Services to Indian Ocean Territories (b)||126,184||88,907||88,871||88,999||84,396|
|Services to Jervis Bay Territory (c)||6,293||4,961||4,999||5,013||5,027|
|Services to Norfolk Island|
|Depreciation and amortisation||-||9,874||16,283||23,463||23,136|
|Special Account expenses||41,796||35,367||31,301||32,864||33,607|
|Christmas Island Phosphate Mining Rehabilitation Special Account||1,673||1,700||1,600||1,600||1,600|
|Indian Ocean Territories Special Account 2014||-||21,757||20,668||20,668||20,668|
|Jervis Bay Territory Special Account 2014||-||1,047||1,094||1,146||1,206|
|Total programme expenses||225,698||191,487||185,325||192,955||188,485|
- Excludes expenses relating to payments made to and through the states and territories by the Department of the Treasury for the Centenary of Canberra 2013—a gift to the national capital administered item.
- See also expenses associated with the Indian Ocean Territories Special Account 2014.
- See also expenses associated with the Jervis Bay Territory Special Account 2014.
|Programme 4.1 Deliverables
The following qualitative deliverables represent the goods and services produced and delivered by the programme in meeting its objective.
|Programme 4.1 Key performance indicators
The following qualitative key performance indicators, addressing key features of the programme in 2015–16 and the forward years, assess the programme's performance in meeting its objective.