Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Portfolio Overview
Ministers and Portfolio responsibilities
The Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Portfolio contributes to the well-being of all Australians through the following outcomes:
Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government:
Outcome 1: Improved infrastructure across Australia through investment in and coordination of transport and other infrastructure.
Outcome 2: An efficient, sustainable, competitive, safe and secure transport system for all transport users through regulation, financial assistance and safety investigations.
Outcome 3: Coordinated community infrastructure and services in rural, regional and local government areas through financial assistance.
Civil Aviation Safety Authority:
- Outcome 1: Maximise aviation safety through a regulatory regime, detailed technical material on safety standards, comprehensive aviation industry oversight, risk analysis, industry consultation, education and training.
Australian Maritime Safety Authority:
- Outcome 1: Minimise the risk of shipping incidents and pollution in Australian waters through ship safety and environment protection regulation and services and maximise people saved from maritime and aviation incidents through search and rescue coordination.
Australian Transport Safety Bureau:
- Outcome 1: Improved transport safety in Australia including through: independent 'no blame' investigation of transport accidents and other safety occurrences; safety data recording, analysis and research; and fostering safety awareness, knowledge and action.
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP is the Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government. On 9 June 2009, the Hon Maxine McKew MP was appointed Parliamentary Secretary for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, and the Hon Gary Gray AO MP was appointed Parliamentary Secretary for Western and Northern Australia.
The Portfolio Additional Estimates Statements (PAES) focus on the activities of the Portfolio's General Government Sector agencies. These agencies and their websites are:
- Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government www.infrastructure.gov.au;
- Civil Aviation Safety Authority www.casa.gov.au;
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority www.amsa.gov.au; and
- Australian Transport Safety Bureau www.atsb.gov.au.
Further details on the responsibilities, goals, and operation of Infrastructure, AMSA, CASA and ATSB can be found in the Portfolio Overview and agency specific sections of the 2009-10 Portfolio Budget Statements; and on the respective agency websites.
The PAES provides information on variations since Budget for the Portfolio's General Government Sector agencies. For the 2009-10 PAES the only variations relate to Infrastructure and CASA, and hence the 2009-10 PAES do not include statements for AMSA and ATSB.
A list of Portfolio agencies, including agencies which are outside the scope of the PAES, appeared in Infrastructure's 2008-09 Annual Report.
Figure 1: Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Portfolio structure and outcomes
Table 1 shows the additional resources provided to the Portfolio in the 2009-10 Budget year, at Additional Estimates, by agency.
Table 1: Portfolio resources 2009-10
Additional appropriations are being sought for Infrastructure and CASA. Funding for AMSA and ATSB remains unchanged from the 2009-10 Budget.