University Vacation Employment Program
Level: APS1, around $44,900
Duration: November 2018 – February 2019
Location: Canberra, ACT
The Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities is looking for interns with a strong vision for Australia's future and a willingness to identify problems and implement innovative solutions.
The department is at the forefront of the Australian Government's efforts to secure the nation's economic future and improve living standards. We do this by building stronger communities through major infrastructure planning, investment advice and delivery, transport system reform and strategic development of policies and programs.
We manage some of Australia's most significant infrastructure projects which impact the wider community, including regulating airports, implementing the Smart Cities Plan and the development of the Western Sydney Airport and the Inland Rail.
Our University Vacation Employment Program is an internship designed to provide an opportunity for university students to experience a taste of Government with placements across areas including maritime and aviation, program management, policy development, national transport systems, finance, communications, human resources, and regional development.
We encourage applications from all disciplines and you can be sure that your work will be contributing to the future productivity, livability and sustainability of Australia.
You will gain valuable, on the job experience, the opportunity to develop networking skills, contacts and social skills required in a professional environment, and the chance to showcase your skills and knowledge in the workplace.
You will work alongside a leadership team with a vast array of subject matter expertise across a range of fields.
This is a paid internship and, if successful, you will be employed on a non-ongoing (temporary) basis and receive a minimum annual base salary of $44,904 per annum (pro rata).
To be eligible for the University Vacation Employment Program, you must:
- be an Australian Citizen at the time an offer is made;
- be completing an undergraduate degree as a minimum. Applications accepted from students at any point in their study;
- be available for your placement between November 2018 and February 2019;
- be available for a minimum of 8 weeks and up to 12 weeks;
- have maintained at least a credit average; and
- be able to obtain and/or maintain a Baseline security clearance.
Our positions are located in Canberra and any successful interstate candidates will be responsible for their own travel, accommodation and associated costs.
Application dates for this Program will become available from July 2018 onwards, so set up your phone reminders now! To get you started, here is what you should expect to have to submit when applying:
- A response (of no longer than two pages in length) to a few questions asking you to demonstrate your interest in the department and what skills you have that contribute to the Program.
- A CV (of no more than two pages in length); and
- The details of two referees (professional referees preferred).
Further information on the University Vacation Employment Program will become available from July 2018 onwards. Should you have any questions in the interim, please contact the Entry Level Programs Team on (02) 6274 6161 or email email@example.com.