Case Study 4.2: APEC Air Cargo Security Workshop Bangkok, Thailand 24-26 June 2008
Australia, together with China and the United States, co-sponsored an APEC Air Cargo Security workshop in Bangkok, Thailand from 24-26 June 2008. The purpose of the workshop was to provide an opportunity for APEC economies to exchange information on challenges and opportunities in developing and implementing air cargo security arrangements.
The workshop focused on the following topics:
- Regulation Modelling - discussion on how an economy can build a regulatory framework and the challenges faced;
- Examination - discussion on current and future approaches for air cargo security examination, effective use of technology and the challenges faced;
- Training - discussion on the strategies for strengthening the skill base of the air cargo security workforce; and
- Capability Building - how APEC economies can assist fellow member economies.
The Department's role included:
- Development of a workshop agenda which would prove beneficial to all attending economies;
- Securing subject matter experts present varying perspectives;
- Chairing the workshop;
- Events management; and
- Funding the workshop.
Information exchanges focused on best practice solutions to security issues common among the air cargo supply chain, with a particular focus on practical solutions that are low in cost and make effective use of technology.
The workshop proved to be highly successful in terms of attendance and participation. Over 2.5 days, 150 delegates from 13 APEC Economies (including a special guest from the European Commission) attended the workshop, with representation coming from both government and industry. Feedback from attending delegates indicated their appreciation and acknowledgment of a well organised and structured workshop. This allowed delegates to gain a greater understanding of the common issues faced and the varying approaches to address these issues.
A number of recommendations for further collaboration were agreed upon, and will be submitted for their consideration.
The Department played a key role in facilitating the APEC Air Cargo Security Workshop, which hosted 150 delegates from 13 APEC economies (Photo DITRDLG)