Report on performance
Outcome 2-Transport Outputs and Programs
- Transport overview
- Output 2.1.1: Transport safety investigations
- Output 2.2.1: Transport security policy, programs and regulation
- Output 2.3.1: Surface transport policy, programs and regulation
- Output 2.3.2: Road safety and vehicle policy, programs and regulation
- Output 2.3.3: Aviation and airports policy, programs and regulation
- Contributions to international organisations (consolidated summary)
In 2007-08, the Department advised on and led national efforts to address key transport issues, including:
- undertaking transport safety occurrence and research investigations that contribute to improved safety outcomes;
- implementing, regulating and monitoring a risk-based approach to transport security;
- reforming maritime transport and integrated vehicle standards and transport systems to achieve productivity, safety, security and sustainability outcomes that enhance Australia's international competitiveness;
- fostering a competitive, sustainable and safe aviation sector through appropriate regulation, program delivery and policy development; and
- analysing and addressing the major competition issues facing the portfolio.
Outcome and outputs
Figure 4.1 shows the relationships between Outcome 2 and its five outputs, as published in the 2008-09 Portfolio Budget Statements (PBS), and identifies the responsible business divisions. The figure also relates each of the current outputs to the corresponding output under the previous outcome and output structure. Refer Appendix L which shows both the previous and current structures.
What this chapter covers
Revised outcome and output structure
When the Department was restructured during 2007-08 to reflect the new government's priorities, the outcome and output structure was revised. The structure of the performance chapters of this report reflects the new outcome and output structure, which was published in the 2008-09 PBS.
This chapter describes the Department's performance against the performance indicators (excluding price and cost) published in the 2007-08 PBS or modified in the 2007-08 Portfolio Additional Estimates Statements (PAES).
Financial performance indicators - price (for outputs) and cost (for administered programs) - are on an accrual expense basis as published in the 2007-08 PAES, and have been adjusted to reflect the revised outcome and output structure.
In most cases, the effectiveness, quantity, quality and location performance indicators are as originally published in the 2007-08 PBS. Exceptions occur because:
- several new programs, and their accompanying performance indicators, were first published in the 2007-08 PAES; and
- the performance indicators for any new or modified programs announced in the Portfolio Supplementary Additional Estimates Statements (PSAES) are not published until the following year's PBS, even if the new or modified programs have implications for the current financial year. Refer Appendix K for a list of new or modified performance indicators.
The chapter begins with a table summarising the attributed budgeted and actual resources of Outcome 2 and the overall performance achieved in 2007-08.
This is followed by the reports on performance for individual outputs. Each output report includes:
- an overview of the output's functions and how they are delivered;
- a cross-reference to the applicable 2007-08 PBS output;
- a summary of the output's results against the performance indicators;
- a more detailed report on the output's performance against each indicator; and
- if the output has administered programs, a report on performance against the indicators for each program.
Each output and administered summary report also includes a rating of progress towards achievement of the performance indicators, using the following ratings:
These ratings are an overall assessment of performance for 2007-08 taking into account both financial and non-financial aspects.
Resources and performance - Outcome 2
|Outcome 2 - Transport|
|Output 2.1.1 - Transport safety investigations||23,800||23,792||0.0||69|
|Output 2.2.1 - Transport security policy, programs and regulation||80,264||77,537||-3.4||89|
|Aviation Security Enhancements|
|checked baggage screening||7,573||2,488||-67.1||104|
|improving international aviation security||1,034||61||-94.1||105|
|increased air cargo inspections||3,820||2,997||-21.5||106|
|regional passenger screening||966||762||-21.1||107|
|screening for liquids, aerosols and gels||4,388||931||-78.8||107|
|Output 2.3.1 - Surface transport policy, programs and regulation||17,411||16,695||-4.1||111|
|Australian Maritime College - marine research funding project||3,000||3,000||0.0||119|
|Bass Strait Passenger Vehicle Equalisation Scheme||30,680||30,103||-1.9||120|
|International Maritime Organization - contribution||313||273||-12.8||173|
|Interstate Road Transport Fees||57,530||54,409||-5.4||121|
|National Transport Commission||2,944||2,944||0.0||122|
|OECD Road Transport - contributionc||40||35||-12.5||174|
|Oil Pollution Compensation Fund||500||246||-50.8||123|
|Payments to the Maritime Industry Finance Company Limited (MIFCo)||680||683||0.4||124|
|Tasmanian Freight Equalisation Scheme||101,000||101,252||0.2||125|
|Tasmanian Wheat Freight Scheme||1,050||911||-13.2||126|
|Transfer of Australian Maritime College to the University of Tasmania||61,364||66,513||8.4||115|
|Output 2.3.2 - Road safety and vehicle policy, programs and regulation||16,623||14,520||-12.7||127|
|Seatbelts on regional school buses||9,375||178||-98.1||139|
|Output 2.3.3 - Aviation and airports policy, programs and regulation||34,666||33,649||-2.9||141|
|Airport Lessee Companies - reimbursement of parking fines||1,500||775||-48.3||166|
|Compensation for the sale of airport land||9,803||0||-100.0||167|
|Implementation of noise amelioration||910||814||-11.8||167|
|International Civil Aviation Organization contribution||1,476||1,477||0.1||173|
|Payment Scheme for Airservices Australia's en route charges||6,000||5,843||-2.6||169|
|Remote Aerodrome Safety Programe||1,000||709||-29.1||170|
|Sydney West Airport - rental properties||2,759||2,229||-19.2||172|
|Outcome 2 - All outputs|
|Total price of departmental outputs||172,764||166,193||-3.8|
|Less receipts from independent sources||3,996||4,373||9.4|
|Net price to government||168,768||161,820||-4.1|
|Administered programs summary|
|Total cost of administered programs||309,705||281,133||-9.2|
|Plus depreciation, write-down of assets etc.||1,064||1,066||0.2|
|Total administered operating expenses||310,769||282,199||-9.2|
|Less administered revenues||226,036||227,724||0.7|
|Net cost to government||84,733||54,475||-35.7|
|Average staffing level||853||823||-3.5|
a The budget shown for departmental outputs is the attributed budget for the Department's revised outcome and output structure as first published in the 2008-09 PBS, and reflects the final budget as per the 2007-08 PAES. Appendix M shows the output budgets and actuals in accordance with the Department's previous outcome and output structure as published in the 2007-08 PAES. The budget shown for administered programs is the revised budget published in the 2007-08 PAES, updated for measures announced in the 2007-08 PSAES. Departmental outputs include the Department's source revenue.
b The variance is the change in the Department's 2007-08 actuals over its revised 2007-08 budget.
c This administered program is delivered by the Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE).
d This measure was first announced in the 2008-09 Portfolio Budget Statements.
e This administered program, previously known as the Regional and Remote Airstrips Funding Scheme,
was renamed in the 2007-08 PAES.