Report on performance
Outcome 1-Infrastructure Outputs and Programs
- Infrastructure overview
- Output 1.1.1: Infrastructure investment, policy and programs
- Output 1.1.2: Infrastructure investment coordination
During 2007-08, the Department:
- contributed to better transport investment decisions through sound management and partnered decision making with other jurisdictions through a range of administered programs, including the AusLink Investment Program; and
- established Infrastructure Australia and supported it with administrative resources as it prepared to undertake its initial key infrastructure audit and to develop a priority infrastructure list and public-private partnership policy guidelines.
Outcome and outputs
Figure 3.1 shows the relationships between Outcome 1 and its two outputs, as published in the 2008-09 Portfolio Budget Statements (PBS), and identifies the responsible business division. The figure also relates each of the current outputs to the corresponding output under the previous outcome and output structure.
What this chapter covers
Revised outcome and output structure
When the Department was restructured during 2007-08 to reflect the new government's priorities, the outcome and output structure was revised. The structure of the performance chapters of this report reflects the new outcome and output structure, which was published in the 2008-09 PBS. Refer Appendix L which shows both the current and previous structures.
This chapter describes the Department's performance against the performance indicators (excluding price and cost) published in the 2007-08 PBS or modified in the 2007-08 Portfolio Additional Estimates Statements (PAES).
Financial performance indicators - price (for outputs) and cost (for administered programs) - are on an accrual expense basis as published in the 2007-08 PAES, with the exeception of the Tackling urban congestion and planning program for which appropriation of $75.0 million was provided in the 2007-08 Portfolio Supplementary Additional Estimates Statements (PSAES). They have been adjusted to reflect the revised outcome and output structure.
In most cases, the effectiveness, quantity, quality and location performance indicators are as originally published in the 2007-08 PBS. Exceptions occur because:
- several new programs, and their accompanying performance indicators, were first published in the 2007-08 PAES; and
- the performance indicators for any new or modified programs announced in the PSAES are not published until the following year's PBS, even if the new or modified programs have implications for the current financial year. Refer Appendix K for a list of new or modified performance indicators.
The chapter begins with a table summarising the attributed budgeted and actual resources of Outcome 1, and the overall performance achieved, in 2007-08.
This is followed by the reports on performance for individual outputs. Each output report includes:
- an overview of the output's functions and how they are delivered;
- a cross-reference to the applicable 2007-08 PBS output;
- a summary of the output's results against the performance indicators;
- a more detailed report on the output's performance against each indicator; and
- if the output has administered programs, a report on performance against the indicators for each program.
Each output and administered summary report also includes a rating of progress towards achievement of the performance indicators, using the following ratings:
These ratings are an overall assessment of performance for 2007-08 taking into account both financial and non-financial aspects.
Resources and performanceOutcome 1
|Outcome 1 - Infrastructure|
|Output 1.1.1 - Infrastructure investment policy and programs||19,195||19,479||1.5||37|
|AusLink Black Spot Projects||47,492||37,264||-21.5||44|
|AusLink Roads to Recovery||307,500||262,500||-14.6||45|
|AusLink Strategic Regional||75,700||75,700||0.0||46|
|AusLink Strategic Regional - supplementary||25,026||46,041||84.0||48|
|AusLink improving local roads||153,750||98,710||-35.8||49|
|AusLink improving the National Network||693,914||536,677||-22.7||50|
|Funding for road projects other than under the AusLink (National Land Transport) Act 2005||6,000||570||-90.5||52|
|Tackling urban congestion and planningc||75,000||75,000||0.0||53|
|Management of residual issues of former Australian National Railways Commission||350||38||-89.1||53|
|Murray River Bridges - Federation Fund Project||0||0||0.0||54|
|Upgrade of the Mainline Interstate Railway Track||20,000||0||-100.0||55|
|Output 1.1.2 - Infrastructure investment coordination||3,307||946||-71.4|
|Outcome 1 - All outputs|
|Total price of departmental outputs||22,502||20,425||-9.2|
|Less receipts from independent sources||177||128||-27.7|
|Net price to government||22,325||20,297||-9.1|
|Administered programs summary|
|Total cost of administered programs||3,246,638||2,979,836||-8.2|
|Plus depreciation, write-down of assets etc.||0||0||0.0|
|Total administered operating expenses||3,246,638||2,979,836||-8.2|
|Less administered revenues||263||264||0.4|
|Net cost to government||3,246,375||2,979,572||-8.2|
|Average staffing level||103||109||6.0|
a The budget shown for departmental outputs is the attributed budget for the Department's revised outcome and output structure as first published in the 2008-09 PBS, and reflects the final budget as per the 2007-08 PAES. Appendix M shows the output budgets and actuals in accordance with the Department's previous outcome and output structure as published in the 2007-08 PAES. The budget shown for administered programs is the revised budget published in the 2007-08 PAES, except where indicated for measures announced in the 2007-08 PSAES. Departmental outputs include the Department's own source revenue.
b The variance is the change in the Department's 2007-08 actuals over its revised 2007-08 budget.
c This measure was announced in the 2007-08 PSAES.