Report on performance
Outcome 1-Transport outputs and programmes
Fostering an efficient, sustainable, competitive, safe and secure transport system
- Transport overview
- Output 1.1.1: Investigation
- Output 1.1.2: Safety
Output 1.2.1: Transport Security
- Output 1.3.1: AusLink
Output 1.4.1: Maritime and land transport
- Output 1.4.2: Aviation and airports
- Contributions to international organisations
In 2006-07, the Department advised on and led national efforts to address key transport issues, including:
- undertaking transport safety occurrence and research investigations leading to improved safety outcomes;
- leading, implementing, regulating and monitoring a risk-based approach to transport security;
- investing through AusLink in key road and rail infrastructure to meet Australia's transport needs and driving critical reforms to the way this infrastructure is planned, funded and operated;
- reforming maritime transport and integrated vehicle standards and transport systems to achieve productivity, safety, security and sustainability outcomes which enhance Australia's international competitiveness;
- fostering a competitive, sustainable and safe aviation sector through appropriate regulation, programme delivery and policy development; and
- strengthening our analytical capability to address the major infrastructure and competition issues facing the portfolio.
Outcome and outputs
This chapter describes the Department's performance against the performance indicators (including financial targets) for Outcome 1 as published in the 2006-07 Portfolio Budget Statements (PBS), or modified in the 2006-07 Portfolio Additional Estimates Statements (PAES), or the 2007-08 PBS.
Financial performance indicators-price (for outputs) and cost (for administered programmes)-are on an accrual expense basis as published in the 2006-07 PAES.
Unless otherwise noted, and in most cases, the effectiveness, quantity, quality and location performance indicators are as originally published in the 2006-07 PBS. Exceptions occur because:
- several new programmes, and their accompanying performance indicators, were first published in the 2006-07 PAES;
- the performance indicators for new or modified programmes announced in the Portfolio Supplementary Additional Estimates Statements (PSAES) are not published until the following year's PBS, even if the new or modified programmes have implications for the current financial year; and
- in the lead-up to the publication of the 2007-08 PBS, a review of performance indicators was undertaken, as a consequence of which the wording of a number of existing performance indicators was clarified, and a small number of new performance indicators were developed (refer Appendix K).
Where outcome/programme performance indicators differ from those published in the 2006-07 PBS this is indicated by a footnote to the applicable summary table.
The chapter begins with a table summarising the budgeted and actual resources of Outcome 1, and the overall performance achieved, in 2006-07. This is followed by the reports on performance for individual outputs. Each output report includes:
- an overview of the output's functions and how they are delivered;
- a summary of the output's results against the performance indicators;
- a more detailed report on the output's performance against each indicator;
- if the output has administered programmes, a report on performance against the indicators set out for each programme (these are summary reports, except where more detailed reporting is particularly warranted); and
- a comment on the output's priorities for 2007-08.
Each output and administered summary report also includes a rating of progress towards achievement of the performance indicators using the following ratings:
fully achieved mostly achieved partly achieved not achieved
Resources and performance-Outcome 1
|Budget 2006-07a $'000|| Actual
|Output 1.2.1-Transport security||73,369||75,573||3.0||67|
|Aviation Security Enhancements|
|- improving international aviation security||930||55||-94.1||87|
|- increased air cargo inspections||11,693||4,932||-57.8||87|
|- regional airport 24-hour closed-circuit television pilot study||197||197||0.0||88|
|- regional passenger screening||1,795||1,012||-43.6||89|
|- screening for liquids, aerosols and gelsc||2,108||0||-100.0||92|
|AusLink Black Spot Projects||44,554||41,562||-6.7||102|
|AusLink Roads to Recovery||307,500||304,421||-1.0||103|
|AusLink Strategic Regional||60,300||40,041||-33.6||104|
|AusLink Strategic Regional-supplementary funding||0||0||0.0||106|
|AusLink improving local roads||76,875||0||-100.0||107|
|AusLink improving the National Network||131,000||180,905||38.1||107|
|Management of residual issues of former Australian National Railways Commission (AN)||357||69||-80.7||109|
|Murray River Bridges-Federation Fund Project||0||0||0.0||110|
|Upgrade of the Mainline Interstate Railway Track||20,000||0||-100.0||111|
|Whitehorse Road and Springvale Road intersection upgrade||2,000||0||-100.0||112|
|Output 1.4.1-Maritime and land transport||12,116||13,283||9.6||115|
|Bass Strait Passenger Vehicle Equalisation Scheme||32,000||28,412||-11.2||125|
|International Maritime Organization-contributiond||320||311||-2.8||162|
|Interstate Road Transport Fees||52,030||50,734||-2.5||126|
|National Transport Commission||2,625||2,861||9.0||127|
|OECD Road Transport-contributiond||40||30||-25.0||162|
|Oil Pollution Compensation Fund||2,000||268||-86.6||129|
|Payments to the Maritime Industry Finance Company Limited||1,684||1,680||-0.2||130|
|Tasmanian Freight Equalisation Scheme||97,000||89,574||-7.7||131|
|Tasmanian Wheat Freight Scheme||1,050||580||-44.8||132|
|Output 1.4.2-Aviation and airports||27,144||28,701||5.7||133|
|Airport Lessee Companies- reimbursement of parking fines||1,500||1,611||7.4||155|
|Canberra International Airport - runway strengtheninge||13,216||13,216||0.0||-|
|Compensation for the sale of airport land||3||0||-100.0||156|
|Implementation of noise amelioration (Adelaide Airport and Sydney Airport)||7,531||3,885||-48.4||157|
|International Civil Aviation Organization contributiond||1,285||1,247||-3.0||162|
|Payment Scheme for Airservices Australia's en route charges||5,400||5,970||10.6||159|
|Sydney West Airport-rental properties||2,705||2,277||-15.8||160|
|Outcome 1-All outputs|
|Total price of departmental outputs||168,245||172,192||2.3|
|Less receipts from independent sources||4,454||3,019||-32.2|
|Net price to government||163,791||169,173||3.3|
|Administered programmes summary|
|Total cost of administered programmes||2,484,022||2,379,881||-4.2|
|Plus depreciation, write-down of assets etc.||2,746||2,025||-26.3|
|Total administered operating expenses||2,486,768||2,381,906||-4.2|
|Less administered revenues||185,464||205,578||10.8|
|Net cost to government||2,301,304||2,176,328||-5.4|
|Average staffing level||972||931||-4.2|
a The budget shown for both departmental outputs and administered programmes is the revised budget published in the 2006-07 Portfolio Additional Estimates Statements updated for measures announced in the 2006-07 Portfolio Supplementary Additional Estimates Statements (PSAES). Departmental outputs are inclusive of the Department's own source revenue.
b The variance is the change in the Department's 2006-07 actuals over its revised 2006-07 budget.
c This programme was announced in the 2006-07 PAES; however, its associated budgets and performance indicators were first published in the 2007-08 Portfolio Budget Statements.
d The reports on performance for the three administered items dealing with contributions to international organisations are consolidated in Table 3.46 on page 161.
e This one-year programme was announced in the 2005-06 PSAES. Payments of $28.5 million were made in 2005-06 but only $8.98 million was expensed in 2005-06 with the balance treated as a prepayment and expensed in 2006-07.