Jump to Content

Regional Assistance Programme

(Contributing division: Regional Programmes) Achieved

Effectiveness: Improved opportunities for sustainable employment, regional development and the enhancement of the skills base of regions including the Area Consultative Committee network

Quality: Stakeholder satisfaction with programme

Quantity: Number and geographic spread of grants approved

Cost: $24.5 million

Location: Regional, rural, remote and metropolitan regions

A total of 218 projects were approved for funding in 2002-03 providing funding of $14.2 million for community based projects across Australia. Projects in rural, regional and remote areas accounted for 76 per cent of approved funding, with the remaining 24 per cent allocated to metropolitan areas. The programme has expensed $21.9 million in 2002-03 with funds split between operational funding for the ACC network and specific community based projects. The diagram below displays the geographical spread of this funding.

RAP funding (approx $0.7 million in 2002-03) is also supporting the Namoi Valley Structural Adjustment Package which was established in August 2002 in response to the announcement of the NSW Government's Water Sharing Plan for the Namoi Groundwater sources. Over $1.4 million has been approved in 2002-03 for proposals which promote future growth of the region, diversify industry and generate long-term employment.

Anecdotal evidence suggests stakeholder satisfaction, however evaluation of the programme is currently underway.

RAP projects approvals by location 2002-03

RAP projects approvals by location 2002-03

RAP projects approvals by remoteness 2002-03

RAP projects approvals by remoteness 2002-03

Source: RAMIS 1 August 2003

  • includes actual amounts contracted with proponents and approved amounts where contracts are outstanding
  • [ Prev. ] [ Index ] [ Next ]