Achievements linked to safer and more secure transport systems resulted from the implementation of a number of key strategies:
- support safer aviation, shipping and land transport services
- effective management and oversight of Australia's aviation security environment
- lead the development nationally of more consistency in road transport and rail regulatory arrangements
- administer the Motor Vehicles Standards Act 1989 to ensure that uniform vehicle standards are applied to vehicles first entering the Australian market
- improve targeting and timeliness of air and marine safety investigations
- develop the Commonwealth's role in rail safety and investigation
- progress implementation of the Commonwealth's responsibilities under the National Road Safety Strategy and the new action plan
- deliver national transport, development and safety objectives through road funding programmes.
A more detailed analysis of specific achievements against each key strategy follows.