TNIP Carbon Counter
The Department has developed a software tool, TNIP Carbon Counter, to compute the carbon footprint of aircraft operations based on the transparency concepts underpinning the Department’s aircraft noise disclosure software package TNIP (Transparent Noise Information Package).
TNIP Carbon Counter calculates fuel consumed for flight operations based on distance flown and by employing average fuel burn profiles for a generic set of main aircraft types. This simple methodology provides robust results when applied to a large number of aircraft operations such as those spanning a large network or period of time. Computations of the total aircraft fuel uplifted in Australia agree with published fuel sales data to within 5% per annum.
TNIP Carbon Counter has been developed using MS Access 2007. The ZIP file contains a sample aircraft operations dataset for demonstration purposes. Version 3.0 of the software incorporates a number of enhancements largely in response to new carbon footprinting demands which are emerging as the field matures. These include:
- upgraded reporting metrics (including ICAO key indicators)
- ability to load files with multiple movements per line (common format in the travel industry)
- ability to quantify Revenue Tonne Kilometres (RTK)
- ability for user to modify key computational factors (previously hard wired in the code)
- ability to import files which contain actual data (which overrides computed data and provides additional validation capability)
- enhanced speed when using large vaults
- bug fixes and user interface enhancements.
Download TNIP Carbon Counter v3.0 zip exe file for MS Access 2007 [38MB]
(Executable, Setup Files and Sample Data Files)
Download TNIP Carbon Counter v3.0 zip file for MS Access 2010 [9MB]
Information on Passenger CO2 by Route
Information on the amount of CO2 generated by a passenger flying between two airports can be obtained very rapidly by using web based carbon calculators. Recognised calculators include:
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Carbon Emissions Calculator
- Qantas—Fly Carbon Neutral
For further information, please click Contacts.